Thursday, September 2, 2010

my momma's spaghetti and meatballs

photo:  foodnetwork.com
I love my mom's spaghetti and meatballs.  Thick sauce with tangy tomato and really flavorful meatballs.  While this recipie calls for hamburger occasionally I like to mix in italian sausage for a bit of extra zing.  Today I made the meatballs exclusively with an italian sausage from Graziano's Grocery on the south side of Des Moines, Iowa.  I grew up eating this sausage which is loaded in spices and fennel.  During my trip back to Iowa last month I bought some of the fresh sausage, froze it then brought it back home via a cooler.  I wish I could share a website with you but I can't find one.  They are a small, old fashioned, italian grocer who makes their own meats, bakes bread and has some of the best buffalo mozzarella around.  I really miss these types of shops living in Jackson.  If you ever get to Des Moines, check them out at 1601 South Union Street.

The recipe is easy although takes a little time with meatball creating and frying.  All the ingredients are in an average cupboard so no shopping for special items.  A great meal to whip up on a Saturday morning!  This dish only gets better over time and freezes well.

Spaghetti and Meatballs
  • 2 6-oz cans tomato paste
  • 1/4 c water
  • 1/2-3/4 c bread crumbs
  • 2 beaten eggs
  • 1-1.5 lbs ground beef or mixture of beef and italian sausage
  • 1/4 c minced onion (I use dried cause it is easier and less pungent)
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 tbls minced parsley (I use dried)
  • 1/4 c parmesan cheese, grated (I like to use a combo of parm and romano)
  • 1.5 tsp salt
  • 2 c hot water
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1.5 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
In a small bowl combine 1 tbls tomato paste, 1/4 c water, bread crumbs and set aside.  In a large bowl mix meat, onion, garlic, parsley, cheese, salt, and eggs.  Add bread crumb mixture and combine well.  Form and fry meatballs in large skillet with about 2-3 tbls of olive oil.  Meanwhile, in large bowl combine hot water with remaining tomato paste and stir until combined.  Add basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and sugar.  Pour over meatballs, stir, and simmer for 15 minutes.  Cover and simmer for 15 minutes up to 1 hour.  

No comments: