Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Very Best Oatmeal Cookies

 photo:  Cookinglight.com (because I am lousy at taking a decent food photo)

I tear out lots of recipes from magazines.  I have three-ring binders full of them dating back to...well, a long time ago.  After dinner last night my husband said he wanted cookies.  I was in the mood too so instead of thumbing through my "go-to" collection of cookbooks I decided to find a new one in my "dessert" binder.  I had never made this one before but it has stayed in place due to its simplicity and the fact that chocolate is an ingredient.  It is from our beloved Gourmet magazine dated January 1996 and was in the "Sugar and Spice" section.  This section allowed readers to send in their favorite recipes with a small story attached.  Only the best were published.

This recipe is so simple that my 4 year old was able to help.  I highly recommend that you use the unsalted butter or if not, decrease the salt to 1/4 tsp as they were perfectly salty sweet as is.  Baking in high altitude can be tricky but these cookies turned out perfect with no adjustments.

Amy Oh's Very Best Cookies
  • 1.5 c all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 sticks (1 c) unsalted butter, softned
  • 3/4 c firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 c granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3 c old-fashioned rolled oats (I used quick cooking oats)
  • 1 c raisins
  • 1 c chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
In a bowl whisk or sift together flour, baking soda and salt.  In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat together butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until light and fluffy and beat in egg and vanilla until combined well.  Gradually beat in flour mixture and oats until combined well.  (note:  it may seem a bit "dry" but dont worry)  Stir in raisins and chocolate chips.

Drop dough by small rounded teaspoons about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet and bake in middle of oven until golden, about 11 minutes.  Transfer cookies to racks to cool.  Makes about 36 cookies.

No comments: