Sunday, October 3, 2010

chocolate cake: best ever!

Back in the "olden days" of Jackson Hole there was a short lived restaurant called Tortilla Flats.  I worked there my first summer in town.  They served some of the best mexican food I had ever tasted so I was sorry when it closed for good.  However, before the doors were locked I was given the recipe for a fantastic (and easy) chocolate cake.  It requires no frosting and is perfect for pot lucks since it is easy to transport. Don't let the addition of black beans throw you as they add a creamy moistness with no real flavor.  A little protein and potassium in our dessert never hurts!  Another bonus with this cake is that I typically have all the ingredients on hand so I can bake it whenever the urge hits.  Try it - I guarantee you will LOVE it!

Chocolate Black Bean Cake
  • 1 - 15 oz can Black Beans
  • 1/4 c Kaluha
  • 6 oz Semi-sweet Chocolate (or 3/4 c chips)
  • 2 oz Unsweetened Chocolate
  • 2 sticks of Butter
  • 5 Eggs
  • 1 c Sugar
  • 1 c Flour
Heat oven to 350º
Rinse beans and blend with the Kaluha in a food processor until smooth.  Melt chocolate and butter until combined and allow to cool.  Whip eggs with an electric beater while gradually add sugar to eggs until mixture becomes light and fluffy.  Gently fold in chocolate/butter and bean mixture.  Fold in flour until just combined.  Pour into a greased bundt pan or springform pan.  Bake 50-60 minutes or until inserted knife comes out clean.  

*whipping the eggs into submission until they are very airy and light allows this cake to rise perfectly without any leavening.  Soooo good!

Topping:  I like to sprinkle (with a small metal colander) some powdered sugar on top.  If you want to have a "frosting" glaze:  melt 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate with 4 tbl butter and drizzle over cake.

I wish I had taken a photo for you but it was eaten to fast after baking!  Sorry!

No comments: