Friday, September 25, 2009

berry cobbler ... in a rush



I ended up finding time to make the mixed berry cobbler for the surprise birthday party.  I had purchased the fruit the day before knowing that I would be able to find the rest of the ingredients in my pantry.  My mother taught me to have a supply of staples for those "just in case" situations (chocolate chips, sweet cream butter, oats, brown sugar, etc.).  I have a library of cookbooks, three-ring binders full of recipes that have been given to me, torn out of magazines or printed from the web but, like always, instead of going to my cache of reliable sources, I pulled a new recipe off the web.  Now, I don't feel as if I risked too much since found it on the Food Network site but still, you never know.  All I wanted was a recipe that allowed a mix of fresh berries (you choose what kind), simple ingredients and took almost no time in assembly.  This berry crumble looks yummy in photo above, had great reviews and took 20 minutes to make plus cooking.  I doubled the recipe, substituted the ramekins for a 9x13" dish and used blackberries, raspberries and blueberries.  I didn't use all the crumble topping as it seemed too much, instead using 2/3 of the doubled amount finished with dollops of butter on top.  Now, if everything else goes as planned today I may survive.

Mixed Berry Crumble
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
  • 4 cups mixed berries
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • Equipment: 6 (6-ounce) ramekins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl combine flour, brown sugar, 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, salt and oats. Using a pastry blender, a fork or your hands cut in butter. Keep cold until ready to use.

In a large bowl combine berries, 1/2 cup sugar, and cornstarch; toss to coat. Evenly divide the fruit mixture between the 6 ramekins. Top with crumble topping. Bake until top is golden and fruit is bubbly, about 35 minutes. Serve warm (with ice cream!)

No comments: