Friday, September 18, 2009

pancakes



My son loves pancakes. Every morning he asks for them.  Most mornings we are rushed to get out the door so I researched kid-friendly recipes to create my own version that is simple and full of omega 3, potassium, and fiber.  This is a breakfast that I don't mind him eating every day.  I love instant pancake mix - just add water -  but as a healthy choice it could use some help.  I buy a large can of pumpkin - just pumpkin, no sugar added - and measure out 1/2 cup servings which I put in snack size zip bags, write on the bag "pumpkin" and stick in the freezer.  In my pantry I keep large bags of wheat germ and milled flax seed.  I don't really measure, just put it all together until the consistency resembles a good batter.  When getting all the ingredients together pull out a bag of pumpkin from the freezer and stick it under hot water.  It thaws in minutes.

1 cup pancake mix (the kind that uses water only)
1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
scoop of milled flax seed
scoop of wheat germ
sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg
1/2-1 tsp of vanilla

makes about 6 pancakes

Put all ingedients into a bowl and add enough water to make a nice batter then pour onto a hot skillet and voila!  a yummy and healthful breakfast.  I alway make extra which are a great cold snack for the afternoons while on the run.  For special occassions chocolate chips can be added.  Sometimes we substitute a really ripe mashed banana instead of the pumpkin.  Your choice!  Make it up and have fun.  It is hard to mess this one up.  Do you have any healthy kid-friendly breakfast ideas?  Send them to me!

No comments: