Sunday, October 25, 2009

20 worst kid's foods in america


Oscar Mayer Maxed Out Turkey & Cheddar Cracker Combo Lunchables
680 calories  22 g fat (9 g saturated)  1,440 mg sodium  61g sugar


With child obesity a growing concern it is no wonder we see articles like this warning us of foods readily available to our families - and thank goodness.  Notice that all the items are "fast food" whether from a restaurant or from the aisles in the grocery.  I admit that I take shortcuts once in a while by serving frozen chicken nuggets for dinner but I try to buy organic choices that offer less sodium and no added sugar.  I pay a hefty price for these items but it gives me a little peace of mind that outweighs the cost.  Am I fooling myself that this is okay?  What happened to slow food at home?  I am a working mom with two young children.  I admit that there are days that I don't consider dinner options until 4:30pm - too late to thaw something from the freezer and too late to run to the store to buy fresh.  I try not to be too hard on myself but I don't like the fact that this is a reality two to three times a week.  Is this an excuse?  I am not sure but I am not going to dive too far into it right now.  I am way too tired from lack of sleep.  I figure once Kiki stops waking every 2 hours at night I can get back to having productive days and planning our meals.  Check out the list from MSNBC.  Shocking.  After looking at kid's meals read the 30 worst foods in America.  Yikes!  I saw items that I may have ordered in restaurants without realizing the damage.

3 comments:

Kristen Cherry said...

One of things I feel less guilty about is the Kashi frozen options. I'm still fumbling my way through having dinner ready for Hannah by 6:00PM - after working a full day. She loves these frozen meals - and I agree - it does give me some peace of mind knowing thay have better ingredients and less sugar, etc.

If I'm going to get this right - how are you typically planning out dinners?

Smile my Child said...

Basically I want to do what my mom did while growing up. Make a menu for the week's meals, grocery shop once and stick to the plan. It does make the week much easier to handle since you don't have to think about dinner at the last minute. It just takes the time and effort to put it all together. I found that Clean Eating Magazine offers great 2-week menus that are low-fat, super healthy and realistic. I use those when I can't come up with the menus on my own.

Zoe said...

This is a great resource for weeknight meal planning:
http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/everydaycooking/