Tuesday, October 20, 2009

breakfast for dinner


Last week I returned home from a business trip to find two cartons of eggs in the fridge.  Why?  I have no idea but decided not to ask my husband.  I am sure he forgot we had plenty already while shopping with two children in tow.  With 24 eggs to eat and hardly any time to prepare a meal (you will understand why from the post prior to this one) I decided to make "breakfast for dinner".  While growing up in the midwest my mother often created a dinner of bacon, pancakes cooked to order, scrambled eggs and juice.  My brothers and I loved it as it felt like a treat to get syrup, butter and hot griddle cakes at night.  She would put the electric griddle on the dining table cooking the cakes while we munched on crispy bacon and eggs.  This is the recipe I came up with for last night.  Makes for a super quick breakfast the next day too.  I ate it cold, like a quiche, this morning.

Egg Casserole

Day old bread (I had a bag of leftover whole wheat hamburger buns) - torn into small pieces
   *good with whatever bread you have on hand
10 eggs (use half whole eggs and half egg beaters or egg whites if watching the fats)
2 cups milk (I used 1c of fat free milk and 1c fat free half & half)
Shredded cheese (I go by "look" but would say 1.5 cups)
   *sharp cheddar is super yummy but any kind will do - whatever you have in the fridge
Cooked Meat (optional) I used diced ham but good with turkey, pork or turkey sausage, bacon, etc.
   *again, whatever you have on hand - be creative!
Fresh Vegetables - I used spinach.  Other options:  corn, peas, broccoli, asparagus, tomatoes, leeks, etc
1/8-1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes (optional)
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1 tsp ground mustard
(optional) 1 tsp herbs (I didnt use this but thought it would be good with Italian Herbs mix)

Grease a 9x13" baking pan.  Line bottom with torn bread.  Top with diced meat and vegetables.  Cover with shredded cheese.  In large bowl beat eggs with milk.  Add salt, pepper, ground mustard and the other spices or herbs you choose.  Beat until well mixed.  Pour over cheese mixture.  Cover with foil and let soak for (at least) 2 hours to overnight.  Bake at 350 uncovered for 50-60 minutes until center comes out clean and the edges are crispy brown.

Serve with a green salad.  This makes a big batch so you could cut the recipe in half for no leftovers or plan on eating it the next day.  Also a great idea for large gatherings, holidays, buffets.  Enjoy!

another idea:  should have put this in as options as well:  go southwestern with green chilies, black beans in the casserole topped with sour cream, chives, black olives and salsa. 

No comments: