Monday, October 12, 2009

bean soup


While in Boulder last week I went to the Whole Foods store to stock up on "road" food for our drive home.  While there I decided to check out the prices of bulk foods compared to our local organic grocer.  Prices were a little lower but I expect that from a chain store.  Overall, I was pleased that I pay about the same price for brown rice, quinoa, etc.  As I was looking over the beans I struck up a conversation with a gal buying the 35-bean soup/chili mix (are there really 35 beans?  Maybe they included the vegetables too?).  She told me how easy it was to create a  great soup with 2 cups of this dried mix.  I decided to try it.  I soaked the bean mix last night.  This morning after a good rinse I was pleased to find plump corn, split peas and jalapeno peppers as well as the many variations of beans. 

I didn't have a recipe so decided to "wing it".  First, I sauteed 4 cloves of garlic and 1 heaping teaspoon of cumin in olive oil.  Then,  I added 10 cups of chicken stock (you can use vegetable too) and all the containers of fresh frozen tomatoes, broth, etc from my freezer.  I didn't measure as it is just soup...you can improvise and have fun.  After it came to a slow simmer I added the bean mix and some cooked ground beef.  I thought about going meat-less but again, was cleaning out the freezer so why not?  At this point, STOP!  Don't add any salt or additional flavorings to beans.  Let them cook until soft first.  Two things to note:  If you add salt to beans while cooking they tend to get tough and if you cook at a fast simmer or boil, they can become mushy.  Slow and steady is the rule.  After the soup simmered for awhile the beans offered a firm but soft bite.  I then added Fiesta Chili Powder (about 1 TBL) from the bulk spice section at Whole Foods and a little more cumin.  It offers a nice heat, is full of flavor, doesn't require any salt or pepper, and was very easy to make.  I think I will serve it tonight with cornbread, honey and whipped butter.  YUM!

No comments: